Reasons to Consider a Midwife for Your Pregnancy
Diane Utz, Certified Nurse-Midwife, Midwest Women’s Healthcare Specialists
As a Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM), I frequently see new patients who are surprised to be in my office—they assumed a traditional physician-attended birth was their only alternative for their in-hospital birth. Often they were referred to Midwest Women’s Healthcare Specialists from a friend or relative who used a CNM or a mother who has read up on contemporary midwifery.
There are many reasons women choose CNM’s, who provide care that is both high quality and safe, for their prenatal, childbirth and beyond.
Midwives are Medical Professionals
CNM’s are registered nurses with masters or doctoral degrees—who have completed an accredited graduate program and are board-certified through the American Midwifery Certification Board.
They Personalize Birthing Experiences
One of a midwife’s greatest attributes is a compassionate, woman-centered approach. They work closely with you and your partner to make sure your wishes are understood and respected, and to provide:
- Assistance in developing a personalized birth plan
- Education and counseling before and after you give birth
- Hands-on support throughout pregnancy, labor and delivery
- A hospital-based birth with minimal intervention
- Whenever possible, the option of an unmedicated birth, an epidural or other pain reduction methods
- Encouragement and guidance for family and friends attending the birth
- Support to help you bond with your baby and to make breastfeeding successful
Midwives Collaborate with OB/GYNs
Midwives collaborate with physician colleagues to practice evidence-based medicine and maintain up-to-date knowledge regarding relevant research. They also have the support of board-certified OB/GYN if a situation arises.
Provide a Lifetime of Care
Midwives can also provide holistic, personalized care for women of all ages – from teenage years through menopause and beyond, including annual pelvic and breast exams, ongoing gynecologic care, family planning and contraceptive counseling, management of well-being during menopause and more.
Other Reasons to Consider a Midwife
- Low rates of cesarean sections
- Hands-on support, physically and emotionally during labor
- CNM’s invite support of family and friends during pregnancy and labor
- CNM’s provide vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) in collaboration with physicians
- Support for breastfeeding and CNM’s commitment to work with new moms to help make breastfeeding successful
At Midwest Women’s Healthcare Specialists, we provide the education, counseling and hands-on assistance through both pregnancy and labor and delivery. We have established excellence in midwifery, reflecting a philosophy of care directed at the woman and her individual reproductive needs.
Certified-Nurse Midwives at Midwest Women’s Healthcare Specialists look forward to meeting you and introducing you to the wonderful care that a midwife has to offer, visit midwestwomenshealthcare.com or call (816) 444-6888.